Friday 12 December 2014

Sayj's Festive chutney

I love cheese and crackers and the best chutney I've eaten is one we got last year from The English Provender Co. it was absolutely delicious.



 I haven't seen it in any supermarkets near me so this year I decided to make my own with a few twists I hope you try this recipe, I'm so proud of what I've created :) 

Ingredients :

3 medium sized Red Onions
1 tablespoon of Olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter ( I used salted)
1 cup of packed brown sugar ( you can use granulated )
1/2 a cup of Fruity red wine
3 tablespoons of malt vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper ( ground)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Juice of two Clementines
2 Bay leaves.

Method and preparation:

Dice or slice the onions .




Add the butter and olive oil to a large pan.



With the butter has nearly melted, add in the onions and Bay leaves.



Cook the onions on a medium heat until they become soft and translucent . This should take 20 minutes.



Now add the spices, sugar, juice and wine.



Mix all the ingredients through and bring it to a boil.



Now turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 30 -40 minutes until you get a lovely thick gooey consistency.



Do not be tempted to over cook this chutney as like jam if over cooked it may crystallize .

pour the chutney into a sterilized jar and let it cool before refrigerating.







Enjoy this chutney with cheese and crackers, or in a sandwich or anything at all :)

Bon Appetite ;)




If anyone tries this recipe I'd love to know what you think :)


Notes :

If you find that your chutney is setting a little too hard add a few drops of boiling water to it and stir it in until you're happy with it.

This chutney will last in your fridge for up to 6 months and tastes better as it matures.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment